Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Intro Letter


Hello! My name is Jessica Heflin and I am a professional undergraduate. I am originally from New York but have been living in San Diego for now 10 years...in case you are wondering, the accent comes out when I am angry or talking to my mother (which sometimes go hand-in-hand) I attended my first two years of high school at New Utrecht High in Brooklyn, NY. I attended and then graduated San Pasqual High in Escondido. I am currently working on my BS here at CSUSM. If I am able to pass physics then I will have my degree in biology by the end of this year. Ironically enough I already "walked" and my photo is on the back cover for the Alumni newsletter . Anyway, I look forward to teaching high school biology in the not so distant future.
Technology and I have a love hate relationship. More times than not the pendulum has been oscillating around love since I no longer wait until 4am to write a paper that is due at 8am the SAME day! I am dependent on technology every single day: checking e-mail, playing Wii, talking on my cell phone, performing statistical analysis of a bio-chemical assay, calculator, walki-talkies, listening to my iPod....etc. I have and always will be a Mac person. I am not a fan of the Microsoft '08 release for Mac I am currently using Microsoft '06 for Mac, the student and teacher's edition.
One of the College of Education's commitments is to educational diversity. As a future teacher of an ever changing and growing population I am passionate about being apart of a diverse educational environment. Generating and maintaining a productive, diverse and safe learning environment is my mission which coincides with one of the many focuses of CSUSM's CoE. I believe in a diverse classroom and I strive making it a reality through the credentialing process. What drew me to the program is the fact that CSUSM has been my home for my whole college career and I enjoy the small class sizes and brand new resources.

5 comments:

aatwood said...

Preach on sister! I have a love hate relationship with technology as well...I love my PC and hate mac's! not offense to you mac users, but nothing is where its supposed to be on these mac's! BUT! I guess well have to come to an understanding for this summer...but I swear when this class is over I'm taking half of everything and divorcing my mac ha-ha ;0)

But anyway I do love your commitment to diversity in education. Your commitment to CSUSM also seems genuine and you seem to have the skills to make it in this profession

Ill hopefully see you around the water cooler in the teachers lounge

;0)

Keep up the awesome work Jessica!

- Me

kelciejoiner said...

I have been using PCs my whole life so this whole MAC thing is new to me. I think its one of those things I just have to get used to. Your commitment to education and this school is very inspiring. You will definitely go far :)!

Joey said...

Its amazing that you have cured yourself of the procrastination bug. I wish I could do the same, but i don't see that happening anytime soon. Being from New York are you a baseball fan? If you are which team? Yanks or Mets? Anywho, good luck.

Joey

Eliane's 422 said...

Hi Jessica, you are from New York and I will love to go to visit one day! I was born in a big city and I have the impression that if I go to New York I will identify myself there!

Lorraine said...

Hey a fellow New Yorker! Alright! How long does it take before you stop missing it? Let me know. I am really surprised at how homesick I get sometimes. I have travelled a lot so I thought the adjustment would be easier.

I look forward to having you as a fellow professional.